Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lunch for Aliens

New Parenting Rule - Do Not Call Children to The Kitchen for Lunch When This Is The First Thing They'll See
The fear and panic was evident in their voices. "What IS that?!" they asked, completely overlooking the peanut butter & honey sandwiches on whole wheat with fruit sitting on plates next to the stove. I was tempted to start spooning it into bowls. But it wasn't finished, and I can't say I'd have been likely to try it myself at this stage.

It's a Cilantro Shake, loosely based on the recipe over at We Like It Raw. I don't have all the ingredients, so had to improvise. I thought it was pretty good, but I was the only one of that opinion. Since the veggies and fruit were pureed, rather than juiced, I wasn't left hungry a half hour after finishing. I'm not a big fan of grapefruit in any quantity or form, but this was tolerable. (Plus, I get bonus points on the Try Something New Rule I use with the kids.)
Here's the list:
Cilantro
Lemon, peeled & sectioned
Grapefruit, peeled & sectioned
Cucumber, peeled & seeded
Pineapple Chunks (fresh)
Tablespoon of honey
Sprinkling of Cinnamon (generous)
1/2 cup strong green tea (cold)
2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Powder
2-3 Handfuls of Spinach

Place in blender and mix until as smooth enough to drink through a straw.

When I fix this particular variation again, I will probably pick up some of the Superfood green powder and either the Agave Nectar or Stevia called for in the WLIR version. That's a future Whole Foods splurge. For now, I think I'll stick with my juiced Apple, Ginger, Carrot, Parsley, Celery, Cucumber combo.

I will be making the WLIR Mango & Avacado Salad again though, and often. It was wonderful. The Yerba Mate Latte was pretty good, too. My favorite part about it was the cashew milk. It was very tempting to drink that on its own while I was stirring in the honey & cinnamon.


Big hat tip to Gala Darling for her links to WLIR last week!

No comments: