Friday, March 27, 2009

Rainy day driving in Atlanta

Just don't, if you can avoid it. As Evan of Atlanta By Bike puts it:
Atlanta receives some 50 inches of rain a year. That's considerably more than legendarily soggy Seattle which only gets 38 inches a year, so you would think Atlanta drivers would have no problem with a little precipitation. Well you would be wrong. Really wrong. The fact is anytime water falls from the sky Atlanta's roads are suddenly filled with thousands of chicken littles who give surrender what little driving skills they possess to a bizarre ritual that I call Atlanta Rush Hour Rain Syndrome.
Trouble is, when it's raining, all hours are rush hour.

Rather than deal with normal connector congestion + downtown chaos + construction + ARHRS, I will be taking MARTA to the Georgia Dome, so I can pick up my race number at the ING Health & Fitness Expo. It will take just as long as driving, but I'll be less cranky. I hope.

Have downloaded the latest podcast from Gardner at Liberty Conspiracy and my current audiobook (half-finished) by Mary Roach, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

You know, now that I think about it, the smells on the train should go pretty well with the book. :)

1 comment:

Slamdunk said...

Wow, was one of those incorrect thinkers in believing Seattle and the other NW cities were tops in average rainfall. I even looked it up, and sure enough, as you said locations in the SE US wins.