Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Playing catchup... again

Another crazy week here. I'm running behind on everything that's not school or work. I'm out running and pedaling, but it's more for keeping sane than fit this week. Have first map of a threesome ready for press, and am hoping to wrap up the other two before we head off for vacation in a couple weeks. Pretty excited about getting these done, as I'm taking the summer off.

Grocery Challenge & Supper Wars coming soon, along with nifty data from the USDA about family food budgets.

I'd also like to take a minute to mention one of the audiobooks I've been listening to while working. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I downloaded it from Audible after hearing a friend mention it in a discussion where old odd medicinal cures brought up Mellified Man. Wasn't sure about it, but it turned out to be a fascinating - and fun - read. (To be more accurate, it was a listen, not a read.) From the forensic body farm in TN, to the early history of body collecting for anatomy classes, to crash tests, to how a body is embalmed, to organ and even the potential of whole body transplants, to the evolution in thought as to where the soul resides in the body... it was never dull. Though I'd not recommend listening while doing your grocery shopping, unless you're trying to work toward vegetarianism.

2 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the book forensic suggestion--I'll have to look up that one.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw your comment on Miz Fit and just wanted to tell you - you really should tri!!! I'm doing my first sprint tri on July 12th, and like you, the swim has me scared witless. But I'm determined to conquer this monster once and for all. I have two blogger friends that area actually traveling to my state to do the tri with me, so that helps! Maybe find a women's only sprint tri - Danskin and Trek have really great ones!