Monday, May 04, 2009

Two-wheeled grocery challenge

Did the majority of the shopping by bike (Patty the hybrid) this week, as planned. Am hoping to do the same this week, depending on the severe weather which may be on the horizon. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as I time everything right. The stores aren't far from home, so even if I get caught out in a downpour, it won't be for more than 10-15 minutes.

Have two photos from the week. First, Tuesday's cargo from a trip to both Trader Joe's and the bakery:


And, Thursday, which was another combined trip:

I think it's time to get one of those handy racks and basket or panniers for the rear, if I want to keep doing this. The balance on the trip back home felt a bit... wobbly. I weighed the grocery bag & backpack, to see how much weight I had added to the front basket. Total weight of shopping bag & backpack was 28.7 pounds, which shouldn't have been too bad, until I realized 26 of those pounds were resting on the handlebars. That's probably not the best idea.

Ooh! The sun just came out. Time to make my shopping list and get pedaling. We're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon, and again tomorrow.

No comments: