Monday, February 16, 2009

$100 Grocery Week?

After lamenting my inability to get the grocery spending down as far as I'd like, I decided to change it up a bit this week. For starters, the biggest part of the shopping was done at Kroger. The produce section is generally better than the Publix near my house, so it's the right choice for a week where I'm semi-avoiding Whole Foods. Second, I'm doing the remainder of my shopping in two small trips, one Tuesday, and one either Thursday or Friday. These small trips will be by bike, to either Trader Joes or Whole Foods. It will probably end up being one of each, as WF is the place to go around here for bean sprouts, which I'll be needed Friday night. (TJ's packages are equally fresh, but availability can be spotty.)

Sunday's shopping: $55.09. It would have been a smaller haul by bike, if I could have worn something other than flip flops on my post-13.1 mile toes. (Not pretty.) Took my three reusable bags and filled them all, plus the one gallon of milk. If I managed to put together the right plan for suppers, shouldn't be much more than $40 for the rest of the week.

Now, off to start bread and bake a batch of cinammon oatmeal cookies for tomorrow's packed lunches. There's no room for Keeblers or Nabisco in the budget this week, especially not with this Triple Brownie ice cream indulgence. It's excellent when drizzled with a bit of hot all natural peanut butter from WF, btw.

Update:
In less than three hours, I fixed, with help from DD:
Supper - Stirfried Pork with Corn (Thai)
Dessert - Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies (for tonight & the next few days of lunches)
Breakfast - Oatmeal Flax Muffins (2-3 days), AND
Bread - Honey Oat/Whole Wheat (two days of packed lunches)

WooHoo! Took until the end of the day, but today did turn out to be quite the productive day. Good thing we went for that hike earlier, because DD and I snacked on an awful lot of cookie dough.

Mmmmm, cookie dough.

No comments: