Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It really IS the humidity!

Last week was an awful week for my running. I ran four days, total of 18 miles, which doesn't sound too bad, but 14 of those miles were miserable.

I'd start out chipper. Glad to be outside. Glad to have a sanity break before dealing with either work or children's Christmas Parties - oops! - I mean Holiday Centers. (That's a whole 'nuther story.) About one mile in, I'd go from running to shuffling. I felt like I was overheating, even when I was running in sleeveless top & running skirt.

It wasn't a hydration issue. I wasn't injured. My sinus infection was long gone. It was in the mid-60s, which is usually a marvelous temperature for me. WTH?

Then it dawned on me. The temps were great, but I was running in 97-99% humidity each of those days. Without any noticeable breeze. I was running through a pea soup of mist, which only added to the slick of sweat. The rain had rinsed it away, which is why the 100% humidity runs during the previous week's rains had been comfortable.

If I needed any proof, I got it this morning. It's 31 degrees, with the humidity back under 40%, and my happy run was back. Didn't need any breaks, beyond the normal wait to cross the big intersection on my easy route. Ended winded, but not wiped. Shaved almost 90 seconds off my pace, compared with last week.

Now it's time to get my children bundled and outside, for a bit of fresh air & exercise. I think a walk by the Chattahoochee with the dog is in order. Then, lunch and house/yardwork. They want video games, and that means earning the time. An hour of chores or outside playtime = an hour of video games. No, the time does not generally accrue for future use. (Exceptions are made when we have a very active outdoor day followed by a rainy day.)

1 comment:

Slamdunk said...

Enjoyed your thought provoking comment the other day regarding when running this time of year you take note of how the landscape is so bare, yet you adjust your mindset accordingly.

It is funny how little things like humidity can affect runners differently. Several years ago I just could not get going while competing in a 10K--it was out of state and I was on vacation. The morning was hot and humid and maybe that was my problem (at least I can now think that it was).

Merry Christmas.