Friday, December 05, 2008

Predictably Irrational

I listen to books on the iPod. While I work, while I run or ride. Lately, I've been on an economics kick. Behavioral economics, to be precise. I love the science, dismal or no, behind the way people make decisions about how to spend their time, money and energy.

I just finished Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions*, by Dan Ariely. I loved it! Will be listening to it again, probably soon. Adds a whole new dimension to people watching. Gave me a bit of insight in to the whys of some of my decisions in life so far. Not just the big things, either. Little things like "Sure, I'll have a piece of cheesecake. My diet starts tomorrow."

Funny how all the rational choices people should be making, in a perfect world, go out the window once you get down to the imperfect individual.

From Ariely's website:



Next up on my audiobook list: The Logic of Life: The Rational Economics of an Irrational World, by Tim Harford.

*The audiobook version of Predictably Irrational is read by Simon Jones, who is one of my favoritest narrators. Yes, I just said favoritest. Favorite just was not adequate.

No comments: