Friday, August 01, 2008

Dinosaur Dash - Midnight Flight

During my half-marathon training, I'm supposed to run a 5k and a 10k race as the weekly mileage builds. My 5k will be next weekend. The Dinosaur Dash 5k and 1k Fun Run at Perimeter Mall. The munchkins will be running the 1k; the teenager will be running the 5k with me. I've been telling my younger son the goal of the 1k is to outrun the dinosaurs, or be eaten. He isn't falling for it. (Sigh... they grow up so fast.)

I'm pretty excited about the 10k. I was looking for something the first two weeks of September. Trouble is, that's not exactly cool fall weather here in Atlanta. Then, through Run & See Georgia, I found the Midnight Flight Race in Anderson, SC.

The 10k race starts at 11:00 p.m.

This. Is. Awesome.

I don't have to get up early. I get to sleep in the next morning. And there's the whole not running in the glaring heat of the sun, too. I'll head up Friday afternoon to pick up my number and get checked into the hotel. Yep, hotel. Remember that "sleep in" benefit of the midnight race? Woo Hoo!

I'd like to finish the midnight race by 12:00, but will be quite happy with any time before 12:04, as this would best my Possum Trot 10k time by more than one minute.

Things I will not be hearing Saturday morning, after the race:

"Mom, can I play Halo?"

"What's for breakfast, Mom?"

"Mom, I don't want to play Halo - make him pick something else."

"I don't want cereal! Can't you make bacon and eggs... and pancakes?"

"No video games! I want SpongeBob.... MOM!"

"Can we have chocolate chip pancakes?"

No comments: